Sunday 2 March 2008

Bike lift modification

I have owned for some time, an "Americana" Bike lift. This was purchased when I had a Harley and worked well for maintenance and cleaning. However the Triumph Tiger will not fit as the exhust pipes and other kit get in the way. Solution Modify the bike lift.


I have seen various threads on the Tiger site about getting the bike off the ground. Here is my solution.


I started by identifying that as the lift normaly lifts on the frame tubes, that I would need to design a sub frame to fit between the bike and the lift. This is what I produced. It has two brackets at the rear which sit under the stands supports. It also hs two adjustable legs which support the bike under the crankcase.







Here is a side view of the subframe. The rear plates fit under the stand supports and are "L" shape to stop the frame sliding away from under the bike. The two front legs are adjustable to fit under the crankcase and allow the from to sit level on the lift and compensate for the profile of the crankcase.










So here is the subframe, on the lift. At present it is not secured and I do not think it needs to be. The frame needs to be placed under the bike and then the lift slid in under the sub frame and then up she goes !!!









Now the frame is in position. The lift is under the subframe so its a pump the peddle jub to lift her up.












Here she is off the ground and stable. How high do you want to go ????




















A bit higher but hard to see how high in this view.
















In this picture you can see the rear wheel has a clear 12 inches clearance, as indicated by my steel rule, which is there for clarification, not to support the bike !!!










How high is she ?, well I am 6 foot tall so from a perspective point of view you can see she is up where lots of jobs would be much easier.



Parts well scrap metal which was all to hand. My MIG welder which I allready had

It does need a coat of paint to finish.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hi there,

I have just bought a similar lift (mainly for my 1957 Matchless G80) and asked on the Tigertriple forum about using it for the Tiger. I was pointed at your website by Mustang of that parish.

Your solution looks exactly what I need - do you have any dimensions for your adaptor?

Best wishes
Ian (2004 Girlie / 1957 Matchless G80)