Monday 10 March 2008

Battery Monitor and fitting of DVM /Temp gauge

Following my bike failing to start following a flat Battery I decided to fit a voltmeter. After much research I found an article where a chap had fitted a really neat unit to an Honda ST. This unit is multi function in that it is design for fitting in a car and provides the following:

Internal or External Temperature.

Clock display or stop watch and lap timer.

Constant display of Battery condition by display of voltage.

ICE warning built in.

Led display of Battery condition with audible low warning levels.

I purchased from California Sport Touring Inc and paid $ 21.48 plus $ 11 shipping to the UK. The $32 in total was less than the purchase of a voltmeter module which I would need to cut the dash for. This is all in a nice neat box which I intend to mount to the top of the dash behind the screen.
All in all a great device and priced at and I sourced it from here (I have no conections with this company).

http://www.casporttouring.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=14124&Category_Code=Electronics

Here is the finished article.
I fixed it to the top of the dash using a small alloy "L"bracket, with the case screw fixing the unit to the bracket and then the bracket with a small bolt through the standard dash top.

It is connected with 3 wires. + permanent live, a switched live with the ignition and a - ground connection. The probe designed for external car temperature I pushed into a threaded lug on the top of the gearbox, to provide me with Digital Engine Temp



Here it is with the screen replaced and you can see that at idle its showing 13.8 volts as opposed to 12.6 in the shot above which was with the ignition off.

One word of caution is that it is not waterproof. Whilst well protected where it is fitted I do protect in in heavy rain buy placing a cut down plastic bag over it. Don't knock it it works well and you can still read it through the bag.

Update is that its been on the bike for 18 months and is still working well.

No comments: