Friday 25 July 2008

Garmin Streetpilot Mounted



I wanted to mount my Streetpilot so it would be seen easily from the riding position and yet not obscure my instruments.

I found a clip in the garage bit's which went around the bars and was secured by a bolt.

I then cut an alloy plate the same shape as the plastic garmin mount and bolted this to the clip, with a locking nut fitted to the bottom, which you can just see here.








The plastic Garmin mount was then secured to
the Alloy plate with super strong double sided tape. As the plate is the same shape as the mount you can hardly see the plate once mounted.















Here is the Garmin mounted to the mounting plate. The camera was at about ride height so as you can see all instruments are visible and the angle on the Garmin screen about right. This can be adjusted by slackening off the bolt before the mounting plate is fixed, so best to mock it up before the tape is applied. This willk get the angle right for your height and body position.











Side view shows ignition switch not obscured in any way and Garmin does not hit the tank when on lock.











View from the other side. I wired it direct via a fuse to the 12v supply I installed for my other toys.

I also run a remote attena which I had from my boating days. This is mounted on my top box lid and gives better reception.

All in all a job I was pleased with and the Garmin can be removed in 5 secs by releasing the lock and the remove button on the Garmin mounting plate, which remains as per pic 1 and 2.

No comments: