Thursday 7 August 2008

Digital Gear Indicator



I was fed up with changing up or trying to to find I was already in 6th. So the solution fit a Digital Gear indicator. The device I purchased also has a voltmeter built in. In this picture the gear indicator is showing 0 for neutral. My phone camera has a problem with the brightness. At night the unit auto dims the display for you.

















Here is a shot from a little further awayat a little above the riding position. Where I mounted it I can see it clearly and it does not obscure any other instruments including the clock. It is fixed the the underside of the dash mouding below the fuel guage.











Another shot from a different angle shows the mounting a little clearer.

Once wired the unit is put into learn mode. You tell it how many gears you have and then run up the road holding in gear untill the unit flashes and shows the next gear and you repeat the exercise until all 6 are done. The unit comapares the pulses from the speedo and engine sensors to determine the gear your in.











Here are the comprehensive instructions for programing or teaching the unit















Here are the instruction for wiring. Its all explained Brown to Tacho (Pink) Orange to speedo (Black White) Red to a switched live with ignition, Green to the neutral light and black to Ground.





I did have a small problem with the stability of the Voltmeter and at certain speed the gear display going from 6 to 1. I rang Acumen and they asked me to return the head unit. This plugs into a loom whitch I left soldered in place. They sent me a replacement unit with new software for the voltmeter and a voltage stabalisation kit for the Gear indicator. No charge and once fitted all is now working ast it should. The problem is not with the Acumen unit, but the bike. The messages from the sensors is eratic and the voltage is all over the place (dirty electrics). Acumen sent the unit by return and were very very helpful.



1 comment:

mrSigmaKappa said...

That s great my friend!!